Saturday, February 11, 2012

A Cook in the Making & Breaking in Crystal Mountain


Helping Momma in the kitchen.  She loves to cook pasta and by cook I mean scoop pasta into cups & bowls.  She makes soup, cakes, mac 'n cheese, HOT coffee and pancakes with her noodles.  What an inventive little lady!
Busy emptying the pasta container into her assortment of bowls & cups.
The other Saturday Evan introduced me to Crystal Mountain Ski Resort- his favorite place in the state to ski.  And if you can't tell by the look on my face I was petrified!  Far from an expert skier I have just returned to skiing after taking a 2 year break during the time I was pregnant and nursing Makenna.  And previously I had only skied once since taking a semester of introduction to skiing my Sophomore year of college.  So yes, I am far from an expert at this sport.  And this was a HUGE MOUNTAIN.
At this point I am still shaken by my first encounter with the mountain.  My first run of the day was a blue- an intermediate run- that starts at the very top of the mountain, or what seemed like the top.  I later found out that it wasn't the top.  Coming off the lift I discover there is a small, what I consider small shoot before cliffs on either side.  At this point the wind kicks up and I am not doing anything to propel myself forward, yet I am moving thanks to the wind.  I was certain I was going flying off that cliff.  Thankfully that was not the case.
Taken later in the day after getting more comfortable.  This was taken on the backside of Lucky Shot- the first blue run I took at Crystal.  That beautiful mountain is Mount Rainier.

Looking back on the day after the soreness has worn off I am proud that I pushed through my fear of heights & falling and kept at it, for at the end of the day I had greatly improved and became more confident in my abilities. 

No comments: